Chili, Books and Gardens: Five Things
Lots to do this week!
- If you want to go to Saturday's Pete Soto Chili Cook-Off and haven't gotten tickets yet, you're out of luck. It sold out on Saturday. But if you got your tickets, you're in for a tasty evening. Nine law enforcement agencies and the Warthogs motorcycle club will be serving chili at the Knights of Columbus, and Avon police will be trying to hold onto their title. This year's event is a benefit for Lorain County Blue Foundation, created to help police officers injured on duty and the families of those killed on duty. Extra parking will be available at BJ's Wholesale Club.
- Does someone in your family have special needs? Learn about financial matters and strategies for families like yours Tuesday at a seminar at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Rocky River.
- Were you raised Catholic, only to fall away from it as you got older? If you're interested in returning to Catholicism, St. Raphael Church in Bay Village is hosting a Catholics Coming Home series at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
- Avon Middle School principal Dr. Craig Koehler will talk about his writing career and his new "So Many Secrets" fantasy series for young readers at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Avon Branch Library.
- Get over any winter doldrums at the Great Big Home & Garden Expo, which starts Saturday and runs through Feb. 12 at the I-X Center in Cleveland. Work by Avon's own Creative Construction Solutions will be featured in the show's Idea Home, and gardens designed and built by local landscaping companies will have be among the popular featured gardens.