While snow may be in the forecast, parents know it's time to be thinking of summer. Registration for summer camps and programs has already started. Fortunately, there are camps for all sorts of interests nearby. We've found a few for you:
- Lake Erie Crushers Summer Baseball Camp: Grown-ups pay thousands of dollars and travel hundreds of miles to attend Cleveland Indians Fantasy Camp in Goodyear, AZ. But kids ages 7-14 can get their fantasy baseball fix with the Lake Erie Crushers for only $75 and with a much shorter commute. This summer’s camp dates at All Pro Freight Stadium are June 20-21, June 29-30 and July 18-19. For more information, contact Amy Focareto at 440-934-3636 or email@example.com.
- North Crest Equestrian Center Summer Horse Program: North Crest Equestrian Center in Avon Lake offers one-week sessions for kids ages 8 and older, beginning June 13. Each session, which costs $250, is limited to eight students and promises to be informative and fun. All aspects of horse care will be covered, and each student gets a private riding lesson every day. Call 440-933-4654 for more information and to sign up.
- TrueNorth Cultural Art’s Broadway Bound Camp: For students in grades 9-12, this six-week camp in Sheffield offers training in acting, voice, dance and improv provided by trained theater pros for a $345 fee. The camp ends with a performance for the students’ family and friends. For more information, call 440-949-5200.
- Lake Erie Nature & Science Center: Registration begins March 19 for members and March 22 for everyone else. The Bay Village center offers a wide selection of camps, including “Summer Wild Things,” “Rocket Camps” and “NSI: Nature Scene Investigations,” for everyone from toddlers to teens. Register in person or call 440-871-2900.
- Bay Lanes Bowling Summer Kids Club: Children as young as 3 will be coached in the fundamentals of bowling during their two-hour weekly session in Bay Village. Children who complete the program get an award and a coupon so they can treat their families to two hours of bowling and show off their newfound skills. There are discounts for registering before May 31 and for signing up multiple children.