NOT ALL REAL ESTATE COMPANIES ARE THE SAME!! Why do I say this? Over my career, I have been associated with several companies. Believe me......THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!
When you hire a company to represent your property for sale, there are many questions you the SELLER should ask and you should receive answers to ALL of the questions before signing any legal document! The agent sitting across the table from you has a fiduciary obligation to answer your questions before finalizing the legal document necessary for their company to market your property.
Here are a few of the important questions and a short explanation why it is important:
- When will my home be added to the Multiple Listing Service?
- Within 24 hours or 10 days or 30 days after I have signed the listing agreement with your company?
i. If the agent tells you anything other than 24 hours ask WHY?
REASON: Every licensed agent in the MLS who is working with a buying client should have the opportunity to view the property as soon as it is listed for sale.
2. Are there extra fees that I (the Seller) will be required to pay when title transfers on my property?
- Such as: Transaction fee?
- Administrative fee?
- Storage fee?
- Brokerage fee?
- Any fee above the usual and customary compensation agreed to when selling your property with any real estate company?
REASON: Companies can charge these fees, YOU the SELLER, should be aware of all the fees before you sign the legal documents.
3. Can I sign a listing agreement for less than six months?
- What are the guidelines to follow should I (the seller) discover that your company is not servicing my listing as we have agreed? What options do I have?
REASON: You want to know what, if any, options you have if the agent/company are not servicing your listing as you were told they would.
My recommendation is interview 2 or 3 Realtors and ask each one these questions. You may be surprised and learn NOT ALL REAL ESTATE COMPANIES ARE THE SAME!
I will be happy to provide you a list of questions to ask the Realtors and their individual companies, contact me for the complete list!
Keller Williams - Carol Murphy Team