Everyone in Avon and Avon Lake wants to make their home more energy efficient and environmentally friendly. But sometimes is hard to know where to get started when it comes to improving the efficiency of your home. Here are some simple ways that you can cut down on energy costs, courtesy of the experts at Pompeii’s Plumbing & Heating.
1. Use Your Ceiling Fans: Most people turn on their ceiling fans during the hot, stuffy season. What many homeowners do not know is that their ceiling fans are actually reversible and are intended for year round use. By flipping a switch located on the fixture itself you can reverse the direction in which the blades of your fan spin. The winter setting will force heated air that has risen to the ceiling back down to the living space, allowing for even and comfortable heating service.
2. Seal Up Your Home: Energy loss is one of the most obvious causes of increased energy bills. A lot of homeowners fail to seal up air leaks in their home, though, and the results are evident when the heating and cooling bills roll in. Weatherstripping your doors and shrink wrapping your windows are easy, affordable and effective ways to help keep energy inside your home. Do not let the heated or cooled air that you paid to condition escape through the cracks in your home.
3. Upgrade Your Thermostat: As a general rule, the more control that you have over the way in which you heat and cool your home the more energy you can save. Consider upgrading your thermostat to a programmable model. By doing so you can create different programs built around your unique schedule. Stop heating and cooling your home all day just so you can come back to a comfortable environment. Set your system to kick in shortly before arrival for improved efficiency and comfort.
4. Schedule Duct Repair Service: If your air ducts are damaged or poorly installed then you are wasting energy before it even reaches its destination. Schedule professional duct repair service to have your ducts tested, sealed and repaired. Keep conditioned air from escaping your delivery system and watch energy costs fall.
5. Professional Maintenance Matters: By far the best way for you to scale back your energy costs is to schedule routine, professional maintenance service. It can reduce the risk of damage to your system and increase the efficiency with which it works.
Saving energy can be easy – there are many other changes that you can make to your home that can have a big impact. Start with one of the tips above and you’ll be amazed how simple it is to keep on going!