In what proved to be a very busy news week in Avon and Avon Lake, it was no surprise that a community’s concern for a boy injured in a car accident comprised two of our biggest stories of the week, which were balanced by results. Support poured in for 9-year-old Westview student Noah Venesile. Friends coordinated an effort to have residents turn on their porch lights as a message of hope.
1. 9-Year-Old Avon Lake Boy Struck By Car – A boy is seriously injured in Avon Lake; a community responds.
2. Avon - Avon Lake Election Results 2012 – We kept readers updated with results
3. Avon Lake School Levy Defeated – This “new money” levy didn’t earn the support Avon Lake voters, but the article generated more than 109 comments from readers on why they did—and didn’t support the levy.
4. Lights on For Noah: Support Critically Injured Westview Student Hit by Car – The city of Avon Lake—and some Avon residents as well, turned on their porch lights as a sign of hope Saturday.
5. Man With Gun Robs Woman in JCPenney Parking Lot – A man with a gun allegedly robbed a woman in the parking lot of an Avon store. Luckily, there were no injuries.
6. Ohio Election Results 2012 – Our up to the minute coverage of local, state and national results meant thousands of you joined in, commented or just checked in for results.
7. – How did your city and precinct vote? Many of you checked to see who did, and didn’t vote for Romney (hint: most of you did).
8. Power To Polling Locations Fully Restored – One week after “SuperStorm Sandy” passed through Northeast Ohio, areas remained without power, including several polling places.
9. Avon Lake Paramedic Levy Passes – After a narrow defeat three months ago, the city returned a 2-mill levy to the ballot and it received significant support
10: Avon Passes Middle School Levy on Third Try – If at first you don’t succeed…and Avon didn’t…try, try again. The third time proved the charm for this “no increase” bond levy.