A student at Avon High School has been diagnosed with viral meningitis, the school district confirmed this week.
"Last week you received a message informing you of an unconfirmed case of viral (not bacterial) meningitis," emailed correspondence from the district said. "The district immediately worked with the Lorain County Health District and other medical professionals to follow appropriate procedures in our district.
"Today we were informed that this was a confirmed case of viral meningitis."
The students has been treated and is deemed healthy.
The school sent home messages to state the case was confirmed that all necessary precautions were followed.
Last week, Superintendent of Schools Mike Laub sent a letter home to parents advising them of a potential case and to alert parent to seek health attention for students who show symptoms of the virus.
Laub said the child's name was not available for release.
The Lorain County General Health District and other medical professionals worked with the district to put in place all necessary precautions.