Seven Avon Lake High School seniors were honored at a signing ceremony May 21, after committing to participate in college athletics.
Superintendent of Schools Bob Scott, after noting this was the fourth signing ceremony for seniors, said “This year has been amazing.”
“Traditionally in Avon Lake, we think ‘football’ but we’ve had (commitments) across the spectrum for boys and girls sports,” Scott said. “We know they are going to represent us well as student athletes.”
High school principal Dr. Joanie Walker said she believed having seven athletes commit in one ceremony may be a record.
“I’d also like to thank parents, community and students for their support,” Walker said.
- Cross country and track standout Trevor Norris will attend Division 1 University Of Akron next fall. Norris has earned All-Ohio honors and was the Lorain County Runner of the Year for cross country in 2011. Norris signed his letter of intent at the ceremony.
- Ethan O’Rourke will attend D-I University Of Evansville.The Avon Lake Shoremen Swimming standout finished seventh at the Cleveland State district in the 200 IM in 2010 and earned a meet record at this year’s SWC championships in the 200 IM.
- Andrew Lombardi, a member of the 2011 Southwestern Conference title golf team, will play golf for D-III John Carroll University.
- Adam Albainy will play baseball for D-II Ohio Valley University. Albainy is a right-handed pitcher who also played outfield for the Shoremen.
- Ryan Schneider has decided to continue his education and soccer Career At D-III Carroll University this fall. Schneider was a standout defenseman for the high school.
- Nolan Kovach has decided to play football and continue his studies at D-III Ohio Wesleyan University in the fall. Kovach, a kicker for the Shoremen football team, also played soccer.
- Connor Musial, a standout cross country and track runner, will continue his education and running career at D-III Otterbein College. Musial was a member of the 2011 District I championship cross country team and is an Academic All Ohio award winner.