Avon Lake High School is part of the award-winning school system that serves the city.
The school, which sits on an impressive campus with access from both Avon Belden Road and Electric Boulevard, earned U.S. News and World Report's Silver Award for the years 2006-2009 and in Newsweek's Top 1,500 U.S. High Schools in 2009 and 2010. The school consistently is rated "excellent" by the Ohio Board of Education.
Avon Lake High School boasts success in the academic, athletic, service and music arenas. Approximately 90 percent of graduating seniors move on to two- or four-year colleges.
AP classes are offered in math, science, English, social studies, French, Spanish, music theory and studio art.
The high school enjoys one of the best music programs in the country, which includes their award-winning Chorale, Symphonic Band, Marching Shoremen, and a renowned 16-member a cappella ensemble called the Merples.
The high school maintains a strong athletic program. The football team has won more than 20 conference championships. The 1994 girls basketball team, 1986 and 1988 girls cross country teams and the 2003 football team have won Ohio state championships. Students are regularly recruited to Div. I and Div. III college athletic programs.
In the early to mid-2000s, the high school underwent a major expansion, including the addition of a state-of-the-art performing arts center that regularly hosts community events, including Cleveland Pops concerts. In 2010, Memorial Stadium received major upgrades including additional seating, new turf, restrooms, locker rooms and track.
Dr. Joanie Walker is the school principal. Jim Beatty and T. J. Ebert serve as assistant principals.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:45am - 2:53pm.
- Handicap Accessible: The school is fully accessible including parking, ramps, elevator and bathrooms.
- Number of students: 1203
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: All teachers are licensed in the state of Ohio.
- Parking: Free lot
- Grade levels: 9-12
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: English, social studies, French, Spanish, music theory, studio art
- Extracurricular activities available: Academic Challenge Team, AFS; Diversity Awareness, FBLA, SADD, yearbook, Spectrum, student council, Varsity Club, instrumental programs, chorale program
- Student clubs: Drama, Environmental, French, Math & Science, ski, Spanish clubs; Key Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Pep Club
- Sports teams: Cross country (boys and girls), football, soccer (boys and girls), tennis (boys and girls), volleyball, basketball (boys and girls), hockey, swimming and diving (boys and girls), wrestling, baseball, softball, track and field (boys and girls)