Avon Lake Public Library has traditional library services and partners with various institutions, such as the Avon Lake Schools, the Lorain County Metro Parks, Avon Lake Community TV and civic organizations.
Greatly expanded in 1994, the 54,000-square-foot library sits on a beautiful wooded lot, provides 200 free parking places and meets the Kopf Family Reservation of the Lorain County Metro Parks on its south side.
For the past two years, the Library has been designated a "Top 10" HAPLR library in its service population category, according to Hennen's American Public Library Ratings. People visit the Library more than 250,000 times each year. The library is supported by both state and local funding.
One of the library's more popular -- and unique -- features is DiscoveryWorks, a 3,200-square-foot area that features science-based hands-on exhibits for children. DiscoveryWorks is divided into areas for two age groups: infants through 7 years old and "tweens."
- Hours: Mon - Thu, 9am - 9pm; Fri, Sat, 9am - 5pm., Sun (Sept-May) 1pm - 5pm DiscoveryWorks: Mon - Thu, 10:30am - 12:30pm and 2:30pm - 5pm; Fri, 10:30am - 12:30pm and 2:30pm - 4:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Ground level entrance, automatic doors, bathrooms
- Founding Date: 1931, expanded in 1994-95
- Parking: Free lot
- Size of collection: 135,000
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: The Library has a total of 22 Internet workstations for public use - located in the Adult, Young Adult and Children's departments.
- Programs/classes: Story times in the Children's Department; special interest programs in Adult, Young Adult, Children's and DiscoveryWorks departments; Friends of ALPL and Kopf Family reservation sponsor programs. See the library's program booklet at www.alpl.org.
- Book donation information: The Friends of ALPL accepts items for their on-going book sale. Newer and gently used fiction, non-fiction, children and teen books are accepted. No tattered, mildewed and/or damaged books, textbooks, encyclopedia sets or years of National Geographic.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: No