Redwood Elementary School
Redwood Elementary School is one of four public elementary schools in Avon Lake. Situated on a quiet street, the school is located on 14 acres of wooded property and boasts a healthy PTA. Redwood has been featured in numerous news venues for its participation in the "Jump Rope for Heart Program," and is one of the first schools in the state to host a K-Kids student service group.
The school is strong in community service and technology. In 2010, the school introduced iPads into some of the classrooms. Jim Flanigan is the long-time principal of the school.
- Fax: 400 6230
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 3:15pm
- Handicap Accessible: Bathrooms, ramps
- Founding Date: 1962
- Number of students: 506
- Male-to-female ratio: 13-12
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: All teachers are licensed by the state of Ohio.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 21-1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 60, 27 teachers
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Community service is a big part of the school. "We had the first K-Kids Club chartered in the state of Ohio," Jim Flanigan said.
- What makes this community special?: The community's support for schools and children.
- Grade levels: Kindergarten - fourth grade
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities
- Student clubs: Shutterbugs club, third and fourth-grade choir, student council, K-Kids, Healthy Kids Club, Buddy System (older kids working with younger kids)