St. Joseph Catholic Church
St. Joseph Catholic Church's parish is home to almost 1,800 families of worshippers, making it one of the largest on the North Coast.
The church, and its affiliate school, St. Joseph School, have undergone several expansions over the years, including a new acoustically advanced church, completed in 2000. The church was expanded to accommodate the growing parish and now seats 1,300.
St. Joseph is the only Catholic church in Lorain County with a Sunday evening Mass.
The church maintains numerous outreach groups, including the Bereavement Ministry, Bereavement Support Group, Ladies Guild, Pro-Life Group, St. Vincent DePaul Society and numerous "Faith Formation" programs, including Parish School of Religion (PSR), Pre-Baptism Program, RCIA Team (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) and the RCIC Team (Rite of Christian Initiation for Children).
The church is led by Fr. Tim O'Connor. Sunday Masses are rebroadcast on Avon Lake Community Television.
- Fax: 440-933-8919
- Hours: Masses: Sat, 4:30pm; Sun, 8:30am, 11am, 5pm; Mon - Wed, 7:30am; Thu, 7pm; Fri, 8:30am; Confession: Thu, 7:30pm - 8:30pm; Sat, 11am - noon. Office hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Church is level with ground, handicapped bathrooms, seating
- Founding Date: 1949
- What makes this community special?: "One of the things I think about is neighborliness of the community," Fr. Tim O'Conner said. "Avon Lake is a very neighborly community. I hear so often how welcome they make newcomers feel and how they feel at home so quickly."
- Parking: Free lot
- Denomination: Catholic
- Congregation size: 5,200
- Services: Child care, Choir/music programs, Missionary programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: Yes