Big changes are coming for Avon.
Work on the new interchange at Nagel Road and Interstate 90 is set to begin this year. The Cleveland Clinic facility there is being built. There is a lot of undeveloped land near that interchange.
And let's not forget Chester Road. Just west of Jaycox Road, the Richard E. Jacobs Group has been it owns between Chester and Interstate 90. While the company has not announced what will go in there, something will eventually.
Let's talk growth. What would you like to see go into those pieces of land? Avon Patch came up with 10 ideas. These are all our ideas, nothing suggested to us by anyone official. It's just pure speculative fun.
We've set up a poll for you to vote on which of these you like. Here are the ten possibilities we dreamed up:
- When IKEA came to Ohio in 2008, it chose to go to Cincinnati. Clevelanders have to drive to either Canton, MI, or Pittsburgh to get their Klippan couches and Swedish meatballs. If the company decides to come to Northeast Ohio, Avon's got the land for it.
- The east side has two Whole Foods. The west side has none. Not fair!
- Sonic Drive-In almost came to Avon Crossings last year. Maybe a spot at the Nagel interchange could finally get us our cherry lime-ades.
- Meijer is a midwest grocery superstore chain. The closest one is in Sandusky. Is it ready to take on the Cleveland market?
- The east side has an outlet mall in Aurora. South of Cleveland, there's the outlet mall in Lodi. The west side may be due for one, and a site with visibility from and easy access to the interstate would be ideal.
- Crate & Barrel has modern furniture and decor, gourmet kitchen goods and colorful style. The closest one is at Legacy Village on the east side. We'd love them on the west side!
- Sur La Table is a foodie paradise. You can get the finest cookware like Le Creuset and All-Clad, specialty kitchen tools and foods. Once again, the east side has one (at Eton) and we don't.
- Let's not forget the guys! How about a Cabela's? It'd be the first one of the outdoor sports store in Ohio. The closest Cabelas are Dundee, MI, and Wheeling, WV.
- Patch reporter and Julie A. Short recommended Old Time Pottery. Bargain-hunters love this place for everything from inexpensive glassware to outdoor decor.
- OK, I admit my bias on this one. I love Wegmans. Almost as much as Alec Baldwin's mom loves Wegmans. It's one of the few things I miss from my time living in Syracuse. I have driven to the closest one, in Erie, PA, to shop, and always make a stock-up stop at the Wegmans in Wilkes-Barre, PA, when I'm coming home from visiting my family in Connecticut. What is it about Wegmans that people love? It's a superstore with great customer service, good prices, great produce and prepared foods, and the selection is outstanding. Their store brand of products is terrific. Wegmans is regularly listed as one of the best companies to work for in the country. Wegmans coming here would be like my birthday, Christmas and my wedding anniversary all rolled into one in terms of how I'd celebrate.
So, Avon, what do you think? Wallow in the possibilities. Vote in the poll, then share your views in the comments here.